Dear Friend of Israel, dear Friend of FLAME:
You may be interested to know that FLAME’s founder, Gerardo Joffe, just turned 96 years old. He told me a story I’ll never forget. He described fleeing Berlin in terror in 1938, just after Kristalnacht—the vicious Nazi attacks on synagogues and Jewish businesses all over Germany.
“We were scared to death,” he said, “and I was lucky to survive. But millions of Jews—our people, our families—were slaughtered. If we had had Israel then, we could have saved them.
“Then, the miracle: Israel was born. But today the anti-Semites still attack the Jews, and now they try to destroy Israel, especially in the media. That’s why I started FLAME—to protect Israel. Never again—it’s true. We can never forget.”
I recalled Gerardo Joffe’s story as the anti-Semites marched in Charlottesville last month. It awakened fierce emotions in me. That’s why I wonder how you are feeling.
Charlottesville also reminded us that anti-Semitism is at the heart of anti-Zionism: Attacks large and small—in the streets, in the media, in the Middle East and in the United Nations—all against Israel, the one and only Jewish state.
I’m still inspired by Gerardo Joffe—who remains a passionate defender of Israel—and I hope you are, too.
In truth, we may never defeat anti-Semitism, and we may never fully defeat the enemies of Israel. But we will never forget . . . and we will never give up.
Once thing is certain: Israel’s enemies surely won’t stop. Which means you and I—and FLAME—must keep defending Israel and telling her amazing story.
Let me put the last six months in dramatic perspective for you, starting with Israel’s treatment in the media.
ANTI-ISRAEL MEDIA BIAS: As you would expect, Israel has gotten no breaks from the media and should expect none: Recent reporting and commentary has been full of anti-Israel attacks, like these, in the media:
- After the Charlottesville white supremacy melee, Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu soundly condemned the neo-fascists—yet NPR raised the criticism that Netanyahu made his comments only in English, not Hebrew, and the Associated Press noted that he didn’t condemn President Trump’s comments. Outrageous! Why is the leader of the Jewish state impugned, but no other?
- When Israel recently demolished West Bank schools built by Norwegian and Belgian NGOs, CNN and the Independent reported that Palestinian children were now without schools—neglecting to report that the NGOs built without permits in knowing defiance of Israeli law.
- Hundreds of media continue to criticize decades-old Israeli settlements on what they call “occupied Palestinian territory”—without explaining that Palestinians don’t own this land, that they have never acquired it and that until Israel and the Arabs reach a peace agreement, both have rights to live and build on this disputed territory. Frustrating!
These journalistic perversions occur so frequently, I could give you dozens more examples, but let me tell you what we can do about it.
How FLAME fights back against media bias: FLAME is the world’s only organization that publishes editorial-style ads—hasbarah—in media nationwide, telling the truth about Israel . . . and correcting media distortions and lies. Each of our position papers reaches an audience of some 10 million Americans:
- Our recent hasbarah effort titled “Who Owns the West Bank?” refutes the false contention that Israel is “occupying” Judea and Samaria—and proves Israel’s legitimate, centuries old rights to Palestine. (Find this and many other bold advocacy PR efforts for Israel on this site at https://factsandlogic.org/pr-for-israel/.)
- Our February hasbarah editorial—“Israel’s Settlements: Obstacle to Peace?”—forcefully explains why Israel’s settlements are not illegal, not increasing, nor do they prevent peace with the Arabs.
Please consider these additional challenges that we pro-Israel advocates have faced and still must confront in 2017:
PERSECUTION OF ISRAEL BY THE UNITED NATIONS: The U.N. and its various agencies have obsessively attacked Israel financially and politically for decades. Good news: Among all the world’s nations, only the United States has consistently defended the Jewish state against the U.N.’s treacherous lies. Here are three of the most insidious recent examples:
- The Palestinians, backed by the U.N., this year passed one of the most treacherous resolutions ever against Israel, falsely declaring Jerusalem’s Jewish quarter, the sacred Western Wall and thousands of Jewish homes to be illegal.
- Also this year UNESCO adopted a resolution that designates the Tomb of the Patriarchs (Abraham, Sarah, Isaac, Rebecca, Jacob and Leah) in Hebron, and Rachel’s Tomb in Bethlehem—as Muslim (not Jewish) holy sites.A
- Finally, the U.N. Human Rights Council is about to publish a “black list” of international firms—like Caterpillar, Airbnb, Ahava, and TripAdvisor—who do business with Israeli “settlements” on land claimed by Palestinians for a future state.
How FLAME helps refute United Nations’ treachery: No other pro-Israel group spreads the truth about Israel in media nationwide as FLAME does—doggedly exposing and refuting U.N. bias, point by point to preserve critical U.S. support for the Jewish state.
- Have you seen FLAME’s outspoken new editorial message, “Exit the U.N. Human Rights Council”? It exposes the UNHRC’s blatantly anti-Semitic resolutions against Israel—more condemnations than against all other nations combined, including Syria, Sudan, North Korea and Iran!
- Or did you see, FLAME’s outspoken editorial statement on “U.N. School for Terrorism” on our website? It exposes U.N.-sponsored schools for Palestinian children that teach Islamic jihad and hatred of Jews—yet are funded by hundreds of millions of U.S. taxpayer dollars?
THE VILE BDS MOVEMENT ON CAMPUS: Imagine the horror of being a Jewish student on a college campus in 2017. Over the last year, 10 more U.S. universities, including Tufts, Pitzer and UC Riverside voted to support the hateful Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement. But our opposition—yours and FLAME’s—has defeated BDS initiatives at Ohio State, Columbia, University of Wisconsin and University of Illinois. But we can’t stop—because the anti-Israel hate continues.
- Global security firm G4S announced its intention to pull out of Israel due to “commercial issues” following years of BDS intimidation efforts. Other BDS targets include Hewlett Packard, SodaStream and Pepsi’s co-owned Sabra hummus.
- Again, thanks to your support of FLAME’s anti-BDS messages in dozens of mainstream media, more than 20 state legislatures have passed anti-BDS laws
- Senators Ben Cardin (D) and Rob Portman (R) recently introduced the powerful Israel Anti-Boycott Act—which is being opposed by MoveOn and the ACLU on 100% false charges that it will limit on free speech. Help us pass this much-needed bill in 2017.
How FLAME helps defeat the BDS movement: Only FLAME publishes hasbarah messages that tell the ugly truth about BDS in scores of college and university newspapers, as well as traditional media, every year.
- Our editorial titled “BDS, Academic Freedom and Anti-Semitism” exposes the BDS movement for the hypocritical organization that it really is—hiding outright Jew hatred behind a phony veneer of humanitarian rhetoric.
- FLAME’s hasbarah effort called “Three Deceptive Myths of the BDS Movement” reveals lies told by BDS militants, including, most despicably, that this group wants peace. Indeed, the ad quotes a top BDS’ leader admitting that ending Israel’s “occupation” would not end BDS.
I hope you agree that FLAME’s editorial hasbarah messages, which appear media reaching more than ten million readers—including college students—are needed to continue educating Americans about our enemy, Iran, anti-Semitism on campus and the value of Israel to the U.S.
Please review the two examples of our editorial messages enclosed in this envelope, so you can see how outspoken and forceful they are.
I hope you agree that Israel needs this kind of public relations in mainstream media—an organization to tell the inspiring story about the Jewish state—its virtues, values and accomplishments . . . and its strategic importance for our own country
Who supports FLAME? Our media efforts are made possible by more than 30,000 passionate individual donors who love Israel and everything it stands for. They are caring people—Christians and Jews alike—who strongly believe Israel deserves a fair shake in the media.
Please be assured that FLAME is an educational non-profit organization and extraordinarily thrifty with the funds that you and other supporters contribute to us. We work out of Spartan offices, much of our work is contributed pro bono and our part-time office-staff payroll is tiny.
By keeping expenses low, we’re able to publish our monthly messages in major national magazines and metropolitan and small-town newspapers all across the U.S. We also send our messages, with convincing cover letters, to all U.S. Senators and Representatives, the President, Vice President, Secretary of State and all Justices of the Supreme Court.
Finally, we place our messages in campus newspapers at dozens of colleges and universities. As you know, many campuses are hotbeds of anti-Israel and anti-Semitic militants promoting the odious BDS movement. We want to make sure that leaders of tomorrow’s generation are informed about the truth of Israel’s just cause.
Won’t you step forward again and join us in telling the truth about Israel? When you renew as a member of FLAME—or increase your donation—you join tens of thousands of ardent Zionists who realize how precious Israel is to the Jewish people—and the world.
Let me leave you with one thought: The American people must know the truth about these issues. Because the only thing stopping persecution of Israel globally is the United States. As a member of FLAME, you help us continue Gerardo Joffe’s legacy—telling Israel’s powerful, moving story in media nationwide. Please start or continue your tax-deductible membership now.
Thank you very much, shalom and sincerely yours,
James Sinkinson, President
P.S.1: Please consider leaving a bequest to FLAME in your will. Your generosity allows us to sustain and expand our voice in more mainstream media, and it secures our ability to support Israel for many decades to come.
P.S.2: If you would like to receive our outspoken positions on vital issues about Israel—so you can become a smarter advocate for Israel—please subscribe to our free weekly FLAME Hotline e-newsletter. Just go to subscribe right now.